Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Poem: DEAF

Deaf

author unknown

What is it like to be deaf?

People have asked me.

Deaf? Oh, hmmm, how do I explain that?

Simply, I can't hear.



Nooo, it is much more than that.

It is similar to a goldfish in a bowl
Always observing things going on.

People talking all the time.

It is being a man on his own island

Among foreigners.



Isolation is not a stranger to me.

Relatives say hi and bye.

But I sit for five hours among them.

Talking great pleasure at amusing babies.

Reading books, resting, helping out with food.



Natural curiosty perks up

Upon seeing great laughter, crying, upsetness.

Inquire only to meet with "Never mind",

"Oh, it is not important,"

Getting such a summarized statement of whole story.



Supposed to smile to show the happiness.

Little do they know how truly miserable I am.

People are in control of language usage,

I am at loss and real uncomfortable!



Always feeling of being an outsider

Among the hearing people

Even if it was not their intention.

Always assume that I am part of them

By my physical presence, not understanding

The importance of communication.



Facing the choice between the Deaf Camping

Weekend and Family Reunion.

Facing the choice between the family commitment

And Deaf friends,
I must make the choice constantly,

Any wonder why I choose Deaf friends???



I get such great pleasure at Deaf Clubs,

Before I realized, it is already 2 a.m.,
Whereas I anxiously look at the clock

Every few minutes in the family reunion.



With Deaf people, I am so normal,

Our communication flows back and forth,

Catching up with little trivals, our daily life,

Our frustration in the bigger world,

Seeking the mutual understanding,



Contented smiles, and laughing are musical.

So magical to me

So attuned to each other's feelings.

Truly happiness so important.



I feel more at home with Deaf people

Of various colors, religions, short or tall,

Than I do among my own hearing relatives.

And wonder why?

Our language is common.

We understand each other.



Being at loss in control

Of environment, that is communication,

People panic and retreat to avoidance,

Deaf people are like plague.


But Deaf people are still human beings

With dreams, desires and needs

Of belong just like everyone else.

1 comment: